Disability Pensions

If your ability to work is impacted by a physical or mental disability, you might be able to collect a MEPP disability pension, even if you are younger than 55 years of age.

If you have Combined Pensionable Service (CPS), then being an active or deferred MEPP member includes pensionable service earned with the Public Service Pension Plan before July 1, 2007.

You can start to collect a partial or total disability pension prior to reaching the age of 55. If you are already 55 years of age or older and you are vested, you can apply to begin your MEPP pension.

A disability pension is based on your years of pensionable service and the average of your highest five consecutive years of salary. The pension will be paid for your lifetime, unless your circumstances change and you no longer meet the qualifications.

To qualify, you must:

  • be an active or deferred MEPP member before July 1, 2007. If you have CPS, this includes pensionable service earned with the Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) before July 1, 2007;
  • have at least five years of MEPP pensionable service (in other words, to be vested);
  • have left your funds in MEPP (if you are a deferred member);
  • not be able to perform your regular work duties because of physical or mental inability;
  • not be receiving a temporary disability benefit from Workers' Compensation Board (WCB); and
  • not be receiving (nor eligible to receive) benefits under a long-term disability income (LTDI) plan, which has been filed with our administrator, Alberta Pensions Services (APS).

How to Apply

If your doctor(s) determine that your ability to work will be impacted, you are both required to complete the Disability Retirement Benefits Application Form. Your doctor will also be required to supply a separate Confidential Medical Statement, at your cost. These documents will be reviewed by an independent medical consultant.

Benefits from Another Disability Plan

Even if you meet the criteria above, but you are eligible to receive benefits under a filed LTDI plan, you will not be eligible for a MEPP disability pension.

This includes Workers' Compensation Board (WCB) temporary disability benefits.

You will remain active in MEPP while receiving LTDI benefits. You must make contributions to MEPP during this period because you will continue to earn pensionable service.

If you work for the Government of Alberta, your employer's LTDI plan is filed with APS. If you work for another employer, you will need to check with them to see if their LTDI plan is filed.

Contact Member Services if you require additional information.