Transfers Out of MEPP

MEPP has transfer agreements with a number of public sector pension plans in Canada. When you leave your MEPP employer, you might be able to transfer your funds directly to your new employer's pension plan.

Timelines vary between agreements. If you are considering transferring out of MEPP, contact Member Services and your new employer as soon as possible.

If you have combined pensionable service (CPS) between MEPP and PSPP, you cannot transfer your pension if you are still contributing to the related plan.

Note: You are not able to transfer your service out of MEPP if you qualify for an unreduced MEPP pension. In other words, you may not transfer funds from MEPP if you:

  • are 60 years of age or older; or
  • are age 55 or older and have enough points to meet the 80 factor.

Eligible Pension Plans in Alberta

Local Authorities Pension Plan (LAPP) or Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP)

  • After you join LAPP or PSPP, you will receive a letter to let you know if you can transfer any service from MEPP.
  • Please note that if you have CPS between MEPP and PSPP you are not eligible to transfer your benefit entitlements between these plans under a transfer agreement.
  • If you have any questions or did not receive your transfer letter after joining LAPP or PSPP, contact Member Services.

Alberta Teachers’ Pension Plan and Private School Teachers’ Pension Plan

Eligible Pension Plan under the Federal Transfer Agreement

Government of Canada Public Service Pension Plan

For more information on transfers under this transfer agreement, please contact the Government of Canada Pension Centre.

Register for the new Your Pension Profile to manage your pension online!